6.20.2011

For Dad

Okay, I'm a day late on this Father's Day post. I'm sorry, Dad! Since I haven't been blogging long, I sometimes don't even think about how it would have been a good idea to "blog that" until it's over. Case in point. 

Onward...Happy Father's Day Daddio! There are SO many things I love about you. Since you've been a father for 23 years, I'm going to say 23 ways you are the best, in no particular order. (idea taken from my uber-creative sister-in-law)


1. You're a teacher which means you had summers off to be with me and Ali! That was such a special time to sleep in, go to the pool, and hangout with my dad.
2. You were/are the best coach in the State of Kansas. I'm sure that has to mean you are also the best dad in the state...duh.
3. Despite your opinion that "if God wanted holes in my ears he would have put them there," you let me get my ears pierced for my junior prom. That meant a lot to me.
4. Unknowingly, you introduced me to my future husband when I was twelve. Thanks, Dad! Not sure you loved that I reminded you of that throughout our dating years, hah!
5. All the bedtime stories of Jack the Bumblebee, Pinky the Penguin, and Barbie. The best was definitely their pool party at Barbie's house. 
6. How your love for traveling and "experiences" rubbed off on me. My best memories of childhood are all of our vacations and car-rides to get there. I can't wait to continue that with my kids (someday).
7. Looking back, you've led our family so well. You're a great leader, dad. I think that's one of the reasons I love Bryan. He has that trait as well. 
8. Our dance at my wedding. As much as you didn't want too, because it's just not your thing, you did it for me. 
9. You taught me to drive stick-shift. I was so mad to have a manual car (wow is that Johnson County brat speaking or what?!). But now, I love driving sticks, and I'm glad to know how. 
10. Your love for the Jayhawks! Rock Chalk :)
11. Seeing you flirt and be affectionate towards mom. I always knew you loved and were committed to each other because I saw it.
12. Your loyalty to your church, friends, and family. You instilled at a young age that we would be loyal and faithful to our church. I'd like to think loyalty is one of my better qualities as well.
13. Your impersonations of various people (to remain unnamed). HILARIOUS.
14. I love that you are a coach. I can't remember not going to your games and meets to cheer on my dad and his team. 
15. Your unwavering faith in Jesus. I know that there is no greater joy in your life than your relationship with Him. 
16. How I've always known that you are proud of me. You've always communicated that to me and it's been very encouraging.
17. Your total commitment in whatever you're involved in: coaching, being a youth volunteer at church, etc. You always give 100% and want to make things better. That's a trait I'm learning to get better at.
18. How giving you and mom are...of your time and your money. You don't want any acknowledgement for it, you just want to be a blessing to others because you have been blessed. 
19. I love how you write our yearly, family Christmas letters. You do such a nice job.
20. I love how similar we are in our personalities. I know I'm a lot like mom in how I operate, but I think I'm wired more like you. Maybe that's why we clash on occasion... ;)
21. Watching "Full House" with you like everyday growing up. That was our show and I can't watch it now without thinking of you!
22. I love that you love my husband. Not just in the way that you have too, but that you are friends with him and enjoy talking sports and going hunting with him.
23. I love that you are MY dad.

 
I hope this loved on you, Dad. No matter how big I get, I'll always be your little girl. Can't wait to see you next!!

ash

3 comments:

Rhonda Tyson said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Mike you are a blessed man. Psalm 127:3-5

lgraves said...

I love you, sis! And I love that I've know you throughout so much of what you wrote. I agree ... you have a great dad. (im sure you'd guess that is say this, but I think my dad is the best Kansas dad).

audrey said...

love your blog. seriously, it can be made into a book (blurb.com). so, document away!! and i love your header photo. you guys are going to have the most beautiful babies. for reals!